And The Winners Are ...
November 5, 2007
- The annual Heritage Kingaroy Business Excellence Awards
, organised by the Kingaroy Chamber of Commerce and Industry, were announced at a glittering three-course dinner held at Kingaroy Town Hall on Saturday night. The winners were:
- Customer Service of the Year - Neil Koehler (Bob Jane T-Mart), Highly Commended - Elizabeth Benson-Stott, Encouragement Award - Gavin Pates
- Outstanding Apprentice - Adam Pedron (PCA), Highly Commended - Jamie Sellars
- Outstanding Trainee - Kimberley Reynolds (PCA), Highly Commended - Kimberley Scott (South Burnett Visitor Information Centre)
- Mature Age & Disability Friendly Workplace - Ken Mills Toyota
- Outstanding New Business - In Touch Chiropractic
- Tourism Ambassador - Bethany Cottages
- Hospitality & Tourism Services - Shadylane Vineyard Cottages
- Manufacturing Trade & Agricultural Services - RBM Industrial Bags
- Professional Services - Aggregate Corporation
- Professional Services Sales & Marketing - Print & Beyond
- Retail & Wholesale Services - Lonsdale's Soul Pattinson Chemist
- Sport, Recreation & Health Services - Hair Dimensions
- Motor & Transport Services - Driver Training & Education Kingaroy
- Corporate Citizen of the Year - Peanut Company of Australia, Highly Commended - The Peanut Van
- Business of the Year (selected from the winners of the business categories) - Driver Training & Education Kingaroy
Three-time winner Lonsdale's Soul Pattinson Chemist
was inducted into the Hall of Fame, joining Ken Mills Toyota
and The Peanut Van
Congratulations to All Kingaroy Business Award Nominees!
November 2, 2007
- The 2007 Heritage Kingaroy Business Excellence Awards
will be announced at a gala dinner at Kingaroy Town Hall tomorrow night ... and sorry, it's all booked out!
Today's South Burnett Times
newspaper includes a list of all the people and companies nominated in these prestigious awards.
Congratulations to everyone who has been nominated! Awards will be presented in the following categories:
Good luck everyone!
- Corporate Citizen of the Year
- Customer Service of the Year
- Hospitality & Tourism Services
- Manufacturing, Trade & Agricultural Services
- Mature Age & Disability Friendly Workplace
- Outstanding Apprentice
- Outstanding New Business
- Outstanding Trainee
- Motor & Transport Services
- Professional Services
- Professional Services - Sales & Marketing
- Sport, Recreation & Health Services
- Retail & Wholesale Services
- Tourism Ambassador
Hard Core Workshops For Small Business
November 1, 2007
- "The Hardcore Truth" ... that's what these workshops put on by the University of Southern Queensland
and ENACT Business Architects
promise for small business people.
There will be two venues
- What it takes to build a successful business
- Case studies on how businesses have made the grade
- Simple strategies that work in all businesses
- Learn about "business architecture"
- November 22, 8:30am-10:30am - Maryborough, The Globe, corner Ward and Cheapside Streets; and
- November 22, 11:30am-1:30pm - Pialba, Hervey Bay RSL, 11 Torquay Road
For more information and to register visit the Enact Business Architects website
New-Look WBBACC Newsletter Available
October 31, 2007
- The latest edition of the Wide Bay Burnett Area Consultative Committee's
electronic Regional Update
newsletter is now available.
The electronic newsletter - which has been totally redesigned - is the main communication tool for the Wide Bay Burnett ACC and provides all the latest information on events, activities and grant opportunities distributed by the Federal Government.
To join the email mailing list, contact Cameron Bisley
at the WBBACC on (07) 4121-7099
or email him
Central Number for Wildlife Carers
October 30, 2007 - The Wildlife Wanderers Carers Association now has a new centralised contact telephone number: 0447-196-704.
The Nanango-based group specialises in wildlife rescue, rehabilitation and release and will travel anywhere to assist a native animal in need.
Co-ordinator Angelique West said the volunteer carers are fully trained and attend special workshops to update their skills. Some have special permits to care for echidnas, bats and koalas while others have been trained to handle raptors. Some of the members have also been vaccinated so they can care for bats and flying foxes.
Congratulations to South Burnett Tourism Winners!
October 29, 2007
- The South Burnett has again scooped the pool at the annual Fraser Coast South Burnett Regional Tourism Awards
which were announced at a gala dinner in Wondai on Saturday night.Local winners were:
As well, three-time winner Bethany Cottages
was inducted into the Hall of Fame, an honour which will be bestowed upon Captains Paddock next year.
Movember Madness Moves Martin
October 26, 2007
- Martin Stern
, soccer fanatic and owner of local business Print and Beyond
, has vowed to "grow a mo" - but it's all in a good cause.
November is "Movember", an Australia-wide fund-raising effort for the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia
(the national depression initiative). Martin is taking part as a member of the "Orange Army", the Queensland Roar Supporters Club.
To sponsor Martin's mo (which we don't think will look quite as good as this one
) visit the Movember website
and enter his registration number (69788) and follow the on-screen instructions. All donations over $2 are tax deductible.
Have Your Say On Councillors' Pay
October 25, 2007
- The newly appointed Local Government Remuneration Tribunal
is seeking submissions from the community, councils and interested groups on salary levels for councillors and mayors.
The three-person tribunal - which consists of Queensland Industrial Relations Commission Deputy President Adrian Bloomfield, Tarong Energy CEO Helen Gluer and former Queensland MP Di McCauley - will finalise its first determination by December 1.
When setting pay scales, the Tribunal will consider the population of local government areas, the geographical area, workload of councillors and the extent of services provided. Submissions close on November 14
. For more information, visit the Department of Local Government website
Aviation Industry Invites Local Businesses To Regional Forum
October 24, 2007
- South Burnett businesses have been invited to promote their products and services at an Aviation Industry Forum
to be held in Maryborough next month.
The forum, organised by the Department of State Development and Aviation Wide Bay
will be held at the Carriers Arms Hotel, 405 Alice Street, Maryborough on Thursday, November 22 from 1-4pm.
For more information, a registration form and a capability statement form (which will be used to promote businesses at the forum), please contact Adam Vieglais
at State Development on (07) 4121-1780
Promotional Opportunity In Brisbane
October 23, 2007
- The Kingaroy Information, Art and Heritage Precinct will be representing the South Burnett at a Southern Downs & Granite Belt Regional Tourism "Picnic in the Park" promotional event to be held in the Roma Street Parklands in Brisbane on November 18.
More than 200 trade and media representatives have been personally invited to attend and the day is also being heavily promoted to the general public so it should be a great opportunity to showcase the South Burnett.
South Burnett tourism operators - including wineries and food producers - have also been invited to take stands. For more information contact Tourism Project Manager Narelle Colquhoun
on (07) 4162-6271
or download flyer
Last Chance To Book At Earlybird Rate!
October 22, 2007
- Tomorrow is the last day to book tickets for this year's Heritage Kingaroy Business Awards
dinner at the earlybird rate of $48!
The glittering night at Kingaroy Town Hall on November 3 will feature all local produce and professional entertainment from comedian Ian McLaren
For more information contact KCCI Manager John Carey
on (07) 4162-8466
or download booking form
Success In Succession
October 19, 2007
- The Burnett Inland Economic Development Organisation, in conjunction with AusIndustry, will be presenting Succession Planning
workshops in Nanango and Wondai soon.
The full-day workshops will be divided into two sessions: "Planning for Success in Succession" and "Financial Consequences of Business Succession".
The Nanango workshop will be held on October 31
and the Wondai workshop on November 1
. Cost is $30. For more information - including starting times and venues
- and to book, contact BIEDO on (07) 5484-1652
or by email
Three Federal MPs Cover South Burnett Super Shire
October 18, 2007
- We're only big enough for one council, but apparently three MPs are needed to look after the South Burnett's Federal requirements ...If the shire boundary changes aren't enough, there's going to be even more confusion come November 24 at the Federal Election!
Under new electoral boundaries, Kingaroy
is no longer part of Blair
(233kb) (held by Cameron Thompson - Liberal) but rather part of the massive seat of Maranoa
(96kb) which stretches west to the Northern Territory and South Australian borders.Nanango
are in also in Maranoa
(currently held by Bruce Scott, Nationals). Oddly, the rest of Rosalie Shire is in the Toowoomba-based seat of Groom
(80kb) (Ian Macfarlane - Liberal).Wondai
are now in Flynn
(133kb) - a new seat created by redistributions. Murgon
are in Wide Bay
(102kb) (currently held by Warren Truss - Nationals ) NB. Lady Flo Bjelke-Petersen will be opening the Kingaroy campaign office of Bruce Scott at 9:30am tomorrow in the former jeweller's shop in Haly Street (near O'Neill Square).
Date Set For Kingaroy Christmas Carnival
October 17, 2007
- The annual Kingaroy Christmas Carnival - organised by the Kingaroy Chamber of Commerce and Industry - will be held on Thursday December 13
Stallholder and entertainment application forms can be obtained from the KCCI Office in O'Neill Square or downloaded from the KCCI website
This year's carnival will again feature the Endeavour Foundation's Christmas Lights
ceremony in O'Neill Square. Each light represents a donation to Endeavour from a local business. For more information, contact Susan Speechley
at Endeavour on (07) 3908-7100.
For more information about the Kingaroy Christmas Carnival, including sponsorship of this community event, please contact KCCI Manager John Carey
on (07) 4162-8466
Are You Enrolled To Vote?
October 16, 2007
- The deadline for new voters to fill out, sign and return an enrolment form is 8pm tomorrow
(Wednesday October 17) ... if you miss this deadline you will not be able to vote at the Federal Election on November 24!
Enrolment forms are available from the Australian Electoral Commission website
You can check that your enrolment is still current with the AEC online
If the details listed are incorrect, you have until October 23
to update them with the same form as above. For further information, phone the AEC on 13-23-26.
Comments Sought On Need For Regional Planning
October 15, 2007 - The Wide Bay Burnett Ministerial Regional Community Forum (a regional body which advises the State Government on local issues) is seeking input from South Burnett residents on the need for the development of a Statutory Regional Plan.
This plan could cover infrastructure, human services and industry development. Comments (before this Wednesday October 17) have been invited on the topic: "The need for and impacts of developing a Statutory Regional Plan for the Wide Bay Burnett Region".
Submissions, which should be sent to PO Box 1939, Bundaberg, 4670, will be used as discussion points during a public workshop which will be held in Childers on Friday (October 19) from 9:30am at the Isis Cultural Centre.
For more information, contact Helen Hughes on (07) 4151-9748.
Starting A Business?
October 12, 2007 - If you're thinking of starting a new business, a Department of State Development workshop to be held later this month in Kingaroy is for you!
The free Starting a Business Pilot workshop will be held at Kingaroy RSL Club on Tuesday October 30 from noon to 2pm. The workshop will cover business planning, legal structures, marketing, record keeping and time management.
For more information or to book, phone State Development on (07) 4121-1780.
Team South Burnett
Gets Set For Adelaide!
October 11, 2007
- Team South Burnett
- a collection of local chefs headed by team captain Jason Ford
- is ticking down the days to the LifeStyle FOOD Channel Australian Regional Culinary Competition
which will be held in Adelaide next week.
The competition, at the tafeSA Regency Campus, promotes professional cookery emphasising locally grown and produced foods. Teams have just three hours to create a three-course menu for four people, pairing each course with Australian wines.
Team South Burnett are scheduled to compete next Thursday. There are eight award categories and prizes will be presented at the awards dinner later that evening at the Hyatt Regency, Adelaide ... so fingers crossed for the South Burnett!
Tarong Welcomes Thiess in $500m Deal
October 10, 2007
- Confirming rumours that have been whispered for weeks, Thiess has announced it will operate the Meandu coal mine at Tarong from January 31.
The $500 million deal was signed yesterday by Tarong Energy, who earlier this year agreed to take over the mine from Rio Tinto Coal Australia.
"All Tarong Mine employees will be offered positions on no less favourable terms by Thiess," Tarong Energy chief executive officer Helen Gluer said.
Download State Government press release
(16kb PDF) and Thiess release
24-Hour Freedom In Kingaroy
October 9, 2007
- The South Burnett has a new 24-hour petrol station with the opening this week of the Freedom Fuels
outlet on the corner of Kingaroy and Knight streets, Kingaroy.
Freedom Fuels sells unleaded petrol as well as environmentally friendly E95 and E98 ethanol blends and biodiesel. As well as fuel, drivers can also fill up at the Grinding Time
coffee shop and Xpress
Manager Darren Gadischkie
can be contacted on (07) 4162-1204