Latest Entries Span South Burnett
February 6, 2006
- Two of the latest additions to the Southburnett.biz demonstrate the wide geographical that we cover ... Professional Investment Services
is located at Widgee (in Kilkivan Shire) while All Surface Earthworks
is based in Yarraman (in Rosalie Shire).Graham Woodrow
, from All Surface Earthworks, has a positrack bobcat for hire. He does concrete preparation, posthole boring, landscaping and general earthworks in the Blackbutt/Yarraman areas. He can be reached on 0412-071-065 or by emailJoan Falconer
is an authorised representative of Professional Investment Services. She offers financial planning, investment and superannuation advice and will travel to all areas. Joan can be reached on 0402-277-119
or by email
Queen's Baton Arrives Safely!
February 3, 2005
- South Burnett runners who took part in yesterday's Commonwealth Games Queen's Baton Relay can see their photos on the Internet, thanks to a service offered by News Ltd.
The Courier-Mail website has photos
of all runners, just type in your name!
Photos from today's journey through the South Burnett will also be posted on the Queen's Baton Relay website
Bob's Latest CD Selling Overseas
February 2, 2005
- Nanango entertainer Bob Ricketts (right
) - probably better known in the world of country and gospel music as "Bobby Ricks" - has released a new CD called "Angels".
Bob, a recent addition to Southburnett.biz, is the winner of three national Gospel music awards, and his latest album has been released internationally.
He has his own website
and his CD is available in local stores.
Tarong Fund Calls For Submissions
February 1, 2006
- Rio Tinto Coal Australia's Tarong Mine Community Development Fund
is calling for applications for its funding round which closes on February 17
Since 1999, the fund has distributed almost $1.2 million to community-led projects in Kingaroy, Nanango and the northern part of Rosalie Shire. It aims to assist projects that will help local communities meet economic, social and educational challenges. Guidelines are available from Margie Magnussen
on (07) 4160-7231
. The fund has assisted many worthwhile South Burnett projects get off the ground ... including this website!
A New Door Opens ...
January 31, 2006
- The Charlwood family has launched a new business venture in Kingaroy catering for the booming construction market.South Burnett Garage and Industrial Door Services
is located at 53 William Street. They install all types of domestic and commercial garage doors and security shutters. Rural and acreage property owners will be interested in their remote gate openers, available either as 240 volt or solar-powered.
Derek, Steven, Tania and Jo Charlwood can be contacted on (07) 4162-5598
or by email
We Have It All In the South Burnett!
January 30, 2006
- Two recent additions to Southburnett.biz's database demonstrate perfectly the wide variety of businesses we have here in the South Burnett.
John Kilpatrick's Safety Advisory Services
is based in Kumbia but services the region. John develops safety systems for businesses as well as doing OH&S risk assessments and incident investigations. He can be contacted on 0429-776-882 or by email
Les Niebling's Machinery and Diesel Services
, based in Wondai Shire, provides a mobile repair service for the heavy transport industry and rural industry. Les can be contacted on (07) 4168-5984
South Burnett Prepares
For Queens Baton Relay
January 27, 2006
- The Queen's Baton Relay
(the lead-up to the Melbourne Commonwealth Games) will be weaving through the South Burnett next Thursday (February 2).
The baton will pass through Kilkivan
before arriving in Kingaroy
about 5.00pm to be welcomed by decorated shops, a guard of honour of schoolchildren lining Kingaroy Street and an official ceremony in Haly Street. There'll also be free entertainment until 8:30pm.
The baton will spend the night in Kingaroy before boarding a plane to fly to Proserpine and travel by convoy to Shute Harbour.
Happy Australia Day!
January 26, 2006 - Happy Australia Day to the hundreds of true-blue Aussie businesses based in the South Burnett!
We've got everything here from pooch pamperers to gold mines, so the South Burnett is the perfect place to live (or do business).
If you're passing through the area today, we invite you to drop into any of our local cellar doors to experience some fair dinkum country hospitality!
Bob Retires After 24 Years
January 25, 2006
- Greg Pogson
is the new face at Raine and Horne - Nanango
, taking over from industry stalwart Bob Head
who retired recently after selling real estate in town since 1982.
Greg said Raine and Horne, which is located at 11 Henry Street, would continue to specialise in farmlet sales and auctions.
Greg can be contacted on (07) 4163-1722 or by email
New Listings Added From SBEC
January 24, 2005
- Two new listings added recently to Southburnett.biz are both located at the South Burnett Enterprise Centre
at 6 Cornish Street, Kingaroy.
Bill Jackson's South Burnett Counselling
is located in Office 3. Bill offers counselling for relationships, grief and trauma as well as day-to-day issues and vocational guidance. He can be contacted on (07) 4162-9000
The Australian Sports Commission's Active After-School Communities
program is located in Office 1. Jay Wehlow administers the AASC program which works with primary schools and other groups to provide opportunities for safe and fun physical activities for children. He can be contacted on (07) 4162-9022
for a list of all businesses currently located at the South Burnett Enterprise Centre.
ACCC Provides Advice To Small Business
January 23, 2006
- A small business hotline, manned by staff trained in small business and franchising issues, has been set up by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to help businesspeople avoid problems with complying with the Trade Practices Act.
Small business operators can contact the hotline on 1300-302-021
The ACCC has also established an easy access point
for small business on the homepage of its website
Creative Forum To Be Held On Monday
January 20, 2006
- The Southern Queensland Institute of TAFE and the Creative Industries Council will be holding a Regional Planning Forum
in Kingaroy on Monday.
The half-day forum, which will be held at the Mayovale Gallery
(opposite Kingaroy Airport) from 11:30am, is designed to link organisations, business and training providers across the arts and creative industries.
Cost is free and includes lunch ... but registration is necessary. Phone Glenn Thomas today
on (07) 3356-0650
or send him an email
January Tourism Talk
January 19, 2006
- South Burnett Local Government Association Tourism Project Officer Narelle Duggan has released the second edition of South Burnett Tourism Talk
, a regular newsletter on tourism happenings around the region.
The January edition includes information about the South Burnett Tourism Map
(which will be reprinted with a new design soon) and the new South Burnett Heritage Trail
to download Tourism Talk (262kb PDF)
Some More New Faces In Kingaroy
January 18, 2006
- There's new owners at the Burke and Wills Motor Inn
in Kingaroy Street, Kingaroy.Shirley Carruthers
and her son Leith
took over just after Christmas. All contact details for the motel and Explorers Restaurant
remain the same.
Meanwhile, general practitioner Dr Robyn Ogle
has joined Dr Peter Ruscoe at Ruscoe's Family Practice on the corner of Youngman and Alford streets, Kingaroy. Dr Ogle specialises in obstetrics, women's health and paediatrics.
Centre For Clever Kids
January 17, 2006
- A branch of the Clever Kids Education Centres
will open soon in Kingaroy at 3 Court Lane (at the rear of the Satellite Cinema).
The centre, to be run by June Wenzel
, offers tutoring from pre-school to Year 12 in all subjects by fully qualified teachers. It caters for all abilities with both one-to-one tutoring and small groups.
June can be contacted on 0427-625-073 or by email
Lots of Changes Over Holidays!
January 16, 2006
- Happy New Year! Southburnett.biz has lots to report this week with several new businesses opening over the Christmas break.Redland Farm and Garden
, a retail store specialising in agricultural machinery suitable for small farms and acreage, has opened at 27 First Avenue, Kingaroy. Owner Phil Park can be contacted on (07) 4162-8211
or by email
And some good news and bad news ... The South Burnett Beef
Murgon abattoir (which closed temporarily last September) is due to reopen today. ABC Radio
has reported 320 people have been hired.
However Unimin Australia's
Kingaroy kaolin plant was "mothballed" just before Christmas with no word if it will reopen. Unimin's open-cut limestone mine at Moffatdale is still operating.
December 16, 2005
- Southburnett.biz will be taking a short break over the holiday period so we would like to take this opportunity to wish all our readers a very safe and happy Christmas!
We will return on January 16, 2006
In the meantime, you are invited to continue submitting entries to us via email
or by fax to (07) 4163-6856
Have Your Say On Council Elections
December 15, 2005
- The State Government has released a discussion paper and questionnaire aimed at improving local council elections.The papers are examining six issues:
- The management of council elections;
- Caretaker periods;
- A Code of Conduct for council election candidates;
- Dissolving a council;
- Penalties for council electoral offences; and
- Election donations.
The discussion paper and questionnaire can be obtained from the Department of Local Government's website
or by phoning (07) 3225-8886
Wonder Homes In Nanango
December 14, 2005
- Yarraman businessman John Bennett
has opened an office of his Wonder Homes and Garages
at Shop 2, 2 Appin Street, Nanango (next door to The Wizard of Secondhand
The business offers plans for new homes and garages, cabins and weekenders and also has a branch at 3a Margaret Street, Yarraman - next door to John's Wonder Land Marketing
real estate agency.
All three businesses can be contacted on (07) 4163-8600
or by email
New B&B To Open On Booie Range
December 13, 2005
- A new B&B will open on the Booie Range near Kingaroy close to Easter 2006.Redrock on Booie
is located at 45 Millers Road, within walking distance of Captain's Paddock
vineyard and restaurant.Neil
and Jan Archer
are building two contemporary design cottages on the site with views over the surrounding bushland. The cottages will feature open decks, spas and fireplaces. For more information phone Jan on 0410-637-072