Retreat Centre Launches Website
October 17, 2005
- Southburnett.biz also lists many community groups including the Amitabha Buddhist Retreat Centre
at Nanango which has just unveiled a new website
The centre, at 160 Greenwood Creek Road, is open for Sunday meditation and offers retreats, lectures, and a library of Buddhist books and tapes. It can be contacted on (07) 4171-0421 or by email
NRA Appeals Against Sunday Trading Ban
October 14, 2005
- The National Retail Association has appealed against a Qld Industrial Relations Commission decision which rejected Sunday trading for Kingaroy and other regional centres in south-east Queensland.
No date has been set for the appeal hearing.
- The NRA is seeking to have the decision set aside on the grounds that it was wrong because:
- It was reached by taking into account irrelevant considerations;
- Misconstrued the terms of the Trading (Allowable Hours) Act;
- Drew inferences without evidence to support them;
- Maintained a view of the facts found which could not reasonably be entertained on the evidence;
- Ignored relevant material;
- Relied on irrelevant material; and
- Applied the wrong standard of proof.
October 13, 2005
- The State Government has unveiled a new online atlas
which provides information about regions, councils, towns and suburbs - right down to individual property lot numbers (right
The atlas provides demographic information and details such as bus stops, schools, TAFE colleges and hospitals. Users can also make "straightline" measurements and there are satellite maps and a trial weather service.
The government plans to extend the atlas over the next three years to include information such as population trends and online pay-as-you-go information services.
Olive Producers Added To Listings
October 12, 2005
- A rural business recently added to Southburnett.biz is Thom and Jo Kennedy's olive plantation O'Cinneide Grove
, located at 457 Ellesmere Road, Haly Creek.
The Kennedys produce olive oil under the South Burnett Blue
label which is marketed at a few boutique outlets including Ziebarth Wines at Goodger.
O'Cinneide Grove can be contacted on (07) 4164-5792
SBBiz Now Available On Council Website
October 11, 2005
- Southburnett.biz is now also available through Nanango Shire Council's website
, making access to up-to-date business listings even easier for Nanango residents.
Nanango Shire Council was one of the original supporters of the Tarong Business Program
from which Southburnett.biz grew, so we're proud to renew the link.
Plans are now underway for SBBiz to become available on other South Burnett Council websites.
Opens In Nanango
October 10, 2005
- A new business for Nanango is Superior Studios
, located at 17 Brisbane Street.Wayne Hoggett
and Selby Matheson
have established a computer consultancy business which offers a range of services including web design, image/logo design, computer repairs and maintenance, software installation and computer training.
They are available for after hours callouts to anywhere in the South Burnett and can be contacted on (07) 4163-1579
or by email
SB Foods Changes Hands
October 7, 2005
- SB Food Service Distributors
, the wholesale food, stationery and cleaning supplies business which has been servicing the South Burnett for 27 years, has changed hands.Morty
and Kelly Douglass
and Michelle Forsyth
have purchased SB Foods, located at 12 Kingaroy Street, Kingaroy. Barry and Lexie Randall, who built the business from scratch, will still retain an interest.
SB Foods can be contacted on (07) 4162-2754
or by email
October 6, 2005
- There's a new face at the South Burnett Community Development Program
, based in St Mary's Hall, 15 Albert Street, Kingaroy.Louise Judge
), has replaced Jo O'Gorman who resigned earlier this year. The role of the SBCDP is to work with the different South Burnett communities to identify needs and then find solutions. You can contact Louise on (07) 4162-5711
or by email
Little Peanuts for
the Peanut Capital
October 5, 2005 - Kingaroy has a new childcare centre ... the aptly named Little Peanuts Early Learning Centre located at 215 Haly Street (just down the road from McDonalds).
Little Peanuts offers before and after school care (6:30am to 6:30pm) for children aged from six weeks to 12 years. It also has its own courtesy bus and morning and afternoon teas are provided.
For more information, contact Peta Hagger on (07) 3712-4136.
Two New Eateries In Nanango
October 4, 2005
- Two new eating spots have opened recently in Nanango, both in Drayton Street and open from Wednesdays to Sundays:KuZo's Bar and Restaurant
is located at The Palace Hotel
(77 Drayton Street) and is open for lunch Wednesday to Friday, and dinner Wednesday-Sunday. Phone Zoe Jensen on (07) 4163-3256.Crusty's Pizza and Pasta
(at 67 Drayton Street) offers dine-in, takeaway and home-delivery pizzas, lasagne and spaghetti from Wednesdays to Sundays. Phone (07) 4171-0631.
Free Seminar For Small Businesses
October 3, 2005
- What are the new business opportunities for the next five years? How can you position your business to profit from future trends? What are the three biggest emerging consumer types and how do you reach them?
If you don't know the answers, maybe this free seminar
organised by the Wide Bay Burnett Area Consultative Committee for home-based and small business operators can help!
The seminar, presented by Dr Kim Houghton from Strategic Economic Solutions, will be held at the Kingaroy RSL Club on Thursday October 13
from 9:15am to 12:30pm. Registrations are essential. Phone (07) 4121-7099
or send an email
. For more information, download
a flyer (47kb PDF)
Have Your Say On The
Blueprint For The Bush
September 30, 2005 - The joint Agforce / Qld Government "Blueprint For The Bush" will be one of the topics discussed at the KCCI Meet'n'Greet which will be held in Kingaroy on Monday October 3.
Guest speaker will be Phil Casey who will explain the 10-year plan to help rural and remote communities and industries manage change. As well, Cameron Bisley from the Wide Bay Burnett Area Consultative Committee, will discuss the Regional Partnerships Program.
The Meet'n'Greet will be held at the Kingaroy Hotel Motel in Youngman Street from 6:00pm. Admission is $5 for KCCI members and $8 for non-members.
Smart Move For Owner-Builders
September 29, 2005
- A new business aimed at owner-builders has moved into the former Fitness Centre premises in the Youngman Street Industrial Estate in Kingaroy.Paul Hume
has opened a South Burnett branch of Steelsmart Kit Homes
and offers a range of affordable steel-frame kit houses to choose from. South Burnett Steelsmart Kit Homes
can also be contacted on (07) 4162-8317
or by email
KCCI Offers Team-Building
September 28, 2005 - The Kingaroy Chamber of Commerce and Industry and Synthesis Trainers and Consultants are offering a one-day training seminar concentrating on "Team Performance".
The hands-on exercises cover topics including roles and responsibilities, rules and boundaries, and conflict resolution. Cost is $155 (inc GST) which includes course materials, lunch, and morning and afternoon teas.
The training will be held at the Motel Kingaroy on October 5 from 9:00am to 4:30pm. Book ASAP on (07) 4162-8466.
Dynamic Computer Business Opens
September 27, 2005
- A new computer sales, service and consultancy business, Dynamic Computer Services
, has opened to service Murgon, Goomeri, Kilkivan and surrounding areas.David Rowe
recently moved to the area to be closer to his wife's family. He formerly worked in Brisbane (TAB Qld) and London. Initially the business will be home-based however he hopes to have a shopfront open in either Murgon or Goomeri within six months.
Dynamic Computer Services can be reached on (07) 4169-7727
or by email
Recent Additions To SBBiz
September 26, 2005
- Website links added to Southburnett.biz last week include a new website for Kingaroy's Motel Oasis, a new SBBiz poster page, and one of the region's oldest websites which has never been listed here before.
Max and Mandy Smith's Motel Oasis
, at 50 Walter Road, Kingaroy, has a new website
with online bookings available.Wendy Martin
, from Adventures in Space and Time
, has a new poster page on the Net. Wendy's Kingaroy business is a time management and system organisation consultancy.
The third addition is Rebecca Bell's Birds Down Under
site. Ozbird.com, which is based in Nanango, traces its web heritage back to 1995 and sells Australiana gifts, gems, opals and other unique items.
Murgon Meatworkers In Limbo
September 23, 2005
- ABC Radio
is reporting that nearly 350 workers at the South Burnett Beef
meatworks in Murgon will be stood down indefinitely after today.
Bindaree Beef told the ABC high cattle prices and an increase in the cost of production had caused the closure, which would not be permanent.
The position would be reviewed again at the end of next week.
Another Useful Local Website
September 22, 2005
- The Wide Bay Burnett Human Services Network provides a useful website
for residents and welfare services in the the Wide Bay-Burnett "Country Coast" region.
WBBHSN, which grew out of the Wide Bay 2020
regional growth strategy, is the region's peak human services representative group.
The website includes regional planning information, reference links, maps, and information on several working groups.
Ecosystem Maps Available Online
September 21, 2005
- Certified Regional Ecosystem Maps
for Queensland can now be accessed for free online
The maps, provided by the Environmental Protection Agency, show:
- The current distribution and status of remnant vegetation
- Essential habitat
- Wildlife corridors
- Property boundaries
- National Park and State Forest boundaries
- Bioregion boundaries; and
- Towns and roads
In areas where regional ecosystem mapping is not available (West and North Queensland), remnant vegetation cover is shown.
This information will help landholders understand their obligations under the Vegetation Management Act which came into force on May 21.
SB Aquatic Centre Opens
September 20, 2005 - The new indoor South Burnett Aquatic Centre, located on the site of the old Nanango Shire swimming pool in Henry Street, Nanango, opened to the public yesterday.
The pool is open during summer on weekdays from 5.30am-7am and 9am to 6pm; and on weekends from 8am to 6pm (times will be adjusted in winter).
Funding of $385,000 was granted under the Federal Government's Regional Partnerships program for a hydrotherapy pool to be incorporated into the Centre which also includes a club room, a first aid and physiotherapy room, a children's pool and a barbecue area.